Health and Counselling Centre - Albany

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What are your rights as a client?

To be treated with respect and dignity.
To question the counsellor about how they work or what their experience is.
To expect the counsellor will keep what you tell them, confidential to the service and their supervisor, unless there are concerns about your safety or the safety of others.
To expect that counsellors receive regular professional supervision.
To stop attending counselling at any time for any reason.

What about my records?

All health information is kept on a secured medical database.

All counsellors keep written records. These are kept in a secure records room. The notes are confidential and may only be seen by the counsellor's supervisor, or other counselling staff if there are safety issues to be considered. You may ask to see these at anytime or have a copy of them if you wish. They remain the property of the counsellor and once counselling has stopped they are stored.

More on privacy and confidentiality.

How can you give feedback or voice a concern about the counselling or health service?

If you would like to give feedback, both positive and negative, or you have any concerns you have various options:

  • Provide anonymous written feedback via the suggestions box in the waiting room.
  • Discuss the matter with the staff member concerned (either on your own or with a support person).
  • Make an appointment with the Manager of the Health and Counselling Centre.
  • Make an appointment to see another counsellor.
  • Telephone the Student Services Manager (414-0833).

As an agency we believe that feedback is important way of assessing, evaluating and changing the service to better reflect your needs. It is also one way of maintaining professional and ethical standards for counsellors. In all cases the feedback or concern will be responded to as quickly as possible.

The Centre also has a Complaints Procedure.


Do I need to make an appointment or do you provide a drop-in service?

Appointments are preferred to avoid waiting, unless the visit relates to an urgent matter.

How much will it cost me as a student to see a doctor?

See the Summary of Fees on Costs page.

What is the cost for Extramural student to see a doctor?

Extramural students pay the same costs as for internal students. (Refer to Costs page).

Can my partner (non-student) use the service?

Normally we restrict our services to Students and Staff but occasionally partners could be seen depending on the circumstances. Partners are charged at a Casual rate for services (refer to the Summary of Fees on  Costs page).


Can children use the service?

The Centre sees children who are enrolled in the campus creche in emergencies.

Is it free of charge to see the nurse?

There is usually no charge for PHO enrolled patients (except possibly a small charge for materials) but there is a small charge for staff or those not PHO enrolled (refer to Costs).
Find out how to enrol in PHO (Primary Health Organisation)

Do you have female doctors?


Can I just see a nurse for a repeat script?

Yes usually, depending on medication and when last seen by our doctor for the same medication. Please phone the centre.


Do you do Immigration Medicals? What is the cost?

No. View Immigration Medicals for information on where these can be completed.

Do you have laboratory or X-ray facilities?

There is no X-ray facility but our nurse offers laboratory facilities.

Do you have Chinese-speaking staff?

We do have a Counsellor, Receptionist and a part-time Nurse who speak Chinese and are available most days. You are also welcome to bring a friend with you or we could arrange a translator.

How can I apply for a Community Service Card?

Application forms are available from the Centre or from the Work and Income website Community Services Card page. You will need to complete and forward to Work and Income.


What is the cost for a staff member to see a doctor? Can staff family members also be treated?

Refer to the schedule of fees on Costs

Do I need to be referred to a counsellor or can I just make an appointment?

You can contact us directly/self refer. It is preferable to make a booking in advance. If this is your first counselling appointment, please click here to complete the confidential assessment form which will be sent through to one of our Counsellors. If you are not comfortable filling this out, please Ph 213 6700 to book an appointment through our Receptionists.

Do you have a physiotherapist and what are the charges?

There is a physiotherapist situated in the Recreation Centre. Prices vary depending on whether treatment is with ACC (ask to see the charges sheet).


If I need medical care after hours, where should I go?

If you require urgent medical care or accident/emergency care outside of our normal hours, you will need to visit Shore Care (Ph: 09 486 7777). You can find listings of these in the front of your telephone directory or on After Hours page. Be aware that at some clinics will charge considerably more than at our centre even with a Community Services card. There is more advice on After Hours page.


Massey Contact Centre Mon - Fri 8:30am to 4:30pm 0800 MASSEY (+64 6 350 5701) TXT 5222 Web chat Staff Alumni News Māori @ Massey